A little light relief and a good tip too, Autumnacorn talks here about the delights and benefits of knitting. The same applies to any craft really, I have found crochet very useful as the repetitive motion is calming and learning to follow patterns has helped me with memory issues, I also enjoy the fact that there is an end product – I give a lot of mine away as gifts which spreads the joy.
Other things that I have found helpful are walking with a group (lots of groups on meetup.com) and going to dance/exercise classes.
If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to add them in the comments.
- When your hands are busy, your hands will stay focused on the here and now.
- The repetitive motion of needlework can induce a relaxed state like you would get with meditation and yoga.
- It can lower heart rate and blood pressure and reduce harmful blood levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
- Craft activities can result in tangible and often useful products that can enhance self-esteem.
- It can give you a sense of purpose.
- It allows your brain time to solve problems.
- Knitting and other crafts can help smokers give up the habit. Your hands are just too busy to smoke!
- It can help with weight control since when hands are holding needles and hooks, there is less snacking and mindless eating out or boredom.
- Handcrafts can help arthritic fingers to remain more dexterous as you age.
- Knitting makes you feel happy : )
- As you age, it may help to…
View original post 44 more words